Friday, July 23, 2010

Potty Training...

Well it's that time.  Time for the little one to start potty training.  I thought that since we started out with cloth diapers on my youngest when she was about 6 months old that potty training her would be a breeze.   The cloth diapers worked out well for her due to her allergic reactions that she had to disposable diapers as an infant.  Fast forward to when she was about 2 1/2 years old and she started showing interest in going to the potty.  She would ask to sit on and sometimes she even put some "pee pee" in the potty and was doing great.  Well at about this time I was still cloth diapering her.  Eventually, I did discover some disposable diapers that she was not allergic to that I used when we were away from the house and out & about, Huggies Pure & Natural.   This discovery slowly led to me using the Huggies more and more the cloth diaper less and less mainly due to not having to do so much laundry and to her interest in potty training.  Switching from the cloth diapers to the disposable diapers turned out to be a huge mistake!  Now she wasn't able to tell when she was wet and would insist that her diaper was dry because the disposables pulled too much wetness from her skin.  I was so sure that she was close to being potty trained and I was tired of the cloth diaper laundering process that I got a little lazy.  Hence, my laziness created a kink in the potty training process. Then all of  her interest in potty training quit. Oh uh.

So in desperation I went on a search for cloth training pants that fit like underwear and had some leak proof fabric similar to a cloth diaper.   My search led to some training pants called Bambino Mio training pants.  Bambino training pants are made of a cotton/poly fabric and have a leak proof liner in between the the fabric in the crotch area so that when the child wets, it will not gush all over the floor but will still allow the child to feel the wetness.  Well, yesterday she wore her first pair of training pants all day - and not one accident.  Today however she wore her training pants for a little while and had an accident.  Granted the pants were soaked and were obviously wet but the pee did not go all over the floor.   She ran to me and said, "Mommy, I need new pants."    These training pants are doing their job so far and the clean up is easier than having to clean up a huge pee puddle on the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment